Glazed Persimmon Bars
Persimmons are a brightly colored, glossy orange red skinned fruit. It's an excellent source of vitamin A, a good source of vitamin C and rich in fiber. It stars in these dessert bars.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 cup mashed ripe persimmon pulp
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, optional
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates or raisins
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the persimmon, sugar, oil, egg and lemon juice. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices; add to sugar mixture. Stir in dates and nuts.
- Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; spread over bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 99 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 77mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 4, 2014
This recipe came out very good. I used only 1/2 teaspoon salt as I was making this for my Father-in-law that needs to watch his sodium. I would make again. I used a mixture of raisins and dates. Yum