Chocolate-Glazed Almond Bars
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (12-1/2 ounces) almond cake and pastry filling
- 2 cups sliced almonds
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pat into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the egg whites, sugar and almond filling until blended. Stir in almonds. Pour over crust. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Drizzle over top. Let stand until set. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Solo brand cake and pastry filling. Look for it in the baking aisle.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 156 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Jan 7, 2012
Everyone loves when I make these. Had to search high and low for the almond filling but it was well worth it!
Jun 17, 2011
I made this bar for a special school function and it was the hit of the cookie tray. I think this will be a new cookie I make for my christmas trays, too! This is excellent and easy.
May 3, 2011
I needed more of an almond taste, real dissapointment
Feb 10, 2011
They are a lot easier to make than they look and they taste like you spent hours on them. Sooo yummy!
Apr 1, 2009
The Chocolate-Glazed Almond Bars are a real keeper. Three squares of the melted bitter-sweet squares though are more than enough to glaze the bars.
May 20, 2008
I used slivered almonds as that is what I already had.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.