Glazed Butter Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Red, green and yellow liquid or paste food coloring
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and chill for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Stir in food coloring. Lightly spread over cooled cookies. Let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 152 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 23, 2018
This recipe did not work for me at all. I followed all the directions, but they turned out as hard as rocks. I had to throw them away.
Feb 11, 2010
We make these at Christmas, Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day. They are fabulous!
Feb 10, 2010
This makes "THE BEST" cookies!!! I make it for all the holidays, and even birthdays. My children's teacher also loves them. She would ask me to make her miniture ones for Easter. This recipe is loved by everyone that gets a taste. It's a tradition in our family. P. W. Magnolia, KY