Lemon Butter Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 13 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Colored sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, milk and extract. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-in. cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired.
- Bake at 350° for 8-9 minutes or until the edges just begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 70 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 55mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 20, 2019
I used this recipe for large cookies shaped like wedding dresses for a shower. It was easy to work with and the cookies came out beautifully (large cookies w/ a recipe that includes a lot of butter sometimes don't). Also: delicious.
Apr 10, 2018
Would I be able to mail these overseas? Looking for new flavors to send my military daughter.Thanks
Jan 25, 2018
I would have to rework this one, as it doesn't need to have the baking powder and soda and they don't sound too buttery with 4 cups of flour and only 1 cup of butter, but if you have the A-typical american sweet tooth I'm sure these are great..
May 8, 2017
I use a star cookie cutter for these with yellow sugar. The dough is easy to roll out and the lemon flavor is not overpowering.
Sep 4, 2014
They are easy to make. I didn't use a cookie cutter. I rolled them into tiny balls and pressed them with a cup. I think they need soething extra like a glaze but my neighbour thinks they are great as is.
Dec 10, 2009
I have had this recipe for quite some time now. This has got to be the best cutout cookie recipe I've made. I have subbed other flavors for the Lemon many times.