Glazed Apple Pie Squares
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, separated
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes
- 9 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 10 medium)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a measuring cup, combine egg yolk and enough milk to measure 1/3 cup. Gradually add to the flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Divide dough in half. Roll one portion into a thin 15x10-in. rectangle. Transfer to the bottom of an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with cornflakes.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, 1 cup sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and nutmeg; toss to coat. Spoon over crust.
- Roll remaining dough into a thin 15x10-in. rectangle; place over apple filling. Beat egg white; brush over pastry. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top. Bake 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm pastry. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 209 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 183mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 29, 2017
I would've given this recipe 5 stars, with one simple change. Double the crust! I have no idea how these other reviewers were able to make this crust recipe work for the size pan in the recipe. The crust is easy to work with and rolls out easily, however, on my first attempt I could tell there was no way it would stretch to fit the top and bottom, so I doubled it. Problem solved. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly and will be making these tasty treats again.
Oct 2, 2017
These are really fantastic! I had to add more milk to the dough, but otherwise followed recipe exactly. Really, really good!
Aug 29, 2016
Not enough dough for this size of a pan.Dough was way too thin win rolled out half. Had to make additional dough.
Aug 23, 2016
Made this for our company picnic and got several requests for the recipe.
Apr 9, 2016
This is excellent
Jan 23, 2016
I made this and didn't have cornflakes, so I used Total with raisins, then threw in a few more raisins. I also used a bit of almond flavouring for the glaze. This was so good, it was a good thing that my family came home when they did, otherwise it just may have 'disappeared' somewhere, and I would be napping with a huge smile on my face.
Nov 6, 2015
I used premade pie crust and canned apples as I was in a rush and it came out good. No complaints and no pie left so I guessed it was ok.
May 31, 2015
I made these into small individual turnovers, much easier. Love the taste.
Oct 3, 2014
I made this the other Day as I had Guests...it was a huge hit, I used Raw sugar rather that regular sugar and it was oh so delicious!
May 18, 2014