Pineapple Dessert Squares
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whole milk
- Ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar. Combine flour and baking powder; add to butter mixture. Add egg; mix until well blended and crumbly. Add milk and blend until dough forms a soft ball.
- Pat dough onto bottom and 1-1/2 in. up sides of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Place pineapple in a sieve over a 4-cup glass measure; press with the back of a spoon to squeeze dry. Spread pineapple evenly over bottom crust, reserving juice in glass measure; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and flour. Add the egg yolks, lemon juice and vanilla; mix well. Add enough milk to reserved pineapple juice to measure 2-1/2 cups. Stir milk mixture into cream cheese mixture until well combined.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites on high until stiff. Fold filling mixture into egg whites. Gently pour into crust. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until filling is set. Cool completely on wire rack. Chill until serving.
Mar 19, 2014
This dessert is hard to characterize. It is a cross between a pineapple cake and pineapple cheesecake. It light, refreshing and perfect for a warm day. It goes together unlike anything else I have baked, but it works well. Great for potlucks or large gatherings. I have been asked for the recipe a few times.
Feb 8, 2011
Lightly baking the crust is missing from the directions. I assumed the crust needed to be baked until lightly browned and cooled before topping with pineapple and filling. This was very good, light and fresh tasting.
May 10, 2009
I did not try a piece myself as I made it for someone else but from what they say, this was excellent! If you love pineapple, you will love this recipe. Thanks for sharing!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.