Rhubarb Ginger Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Process: 20 min. + freezing
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place rhubarb in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with sugar; toss to coat. Cover and bake 30-40 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Cool slightly. Process rhubarb in batches in a food processor; transfer to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, cream, lemon juice and ginger; stir in rhubarb.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with any remaining ice cream mixture.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 325 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jun 27, 2011
I made this using half and half, and only 1 cup of sugar, and it turned out really well. The ginger is a bit of a shock, although it adds to the taste. The lemon is definitely a good addition.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.