Hand-Held Apple Pies
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- Coarse sugar and cinnamon-sugar
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to butter mixture until well blended. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Combine the sugar, cinnamon and allspice; set aside. Divide each portion of dough into 12 balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a 4-in. circle. Place a tablespoonful of chopped apples on one side. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon sugar mixture; dot with 1/4 teaspoon butter.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and water. Brush edges of pastry with egg wash; fold pastry over filling and seal edges well with a fork. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Brush remaining egg wash over tops. Cut slits in pastry. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 11-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 pie: 162 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 20, 2019
I loved the crust. Different and so easy although instead of 1/4, I used 1/2 tsp of salt. I used Honey Crisp apples chopped small. Instead of Allspice I used 1/2 Tsp of Mace. I loved how these turned out and were a hit with the family. This recipe is a keeper.
Sep 1, 2019
The crust was bland and the apples cooked down flat like paste. Lots of work for something lackluster.
Oct 26, 2018
While time consuming to make, the crust is easy to work with. The little pies are very tasty too. A better recipe than any I've tried in the past for hand-held pies.
Oct 5, 2018
So very good and I’ll be using the crust recipe for other pie recipes for sure!
Jul 6, 2018
I absolutely love the pie crust, as it's very easy to work with and turns out so flaky!
Feb 25, 2018
Sorry, cheated & used ready made pie crust. But they are so good. Freeze well, too.
Jan 22, 2018
Dough was a bit difficult to work with on my first try, and of course they didn't look like the picture, but wowsa ~ these are really good! Yes, I used parchment paper in the cookie sheets. At my house we judge a recipe by if it's a keeper or not, and this one is! Well worth the time and effort ~ my husband is a big pie lover and he loved these!
Jan 15, 2018
Mary, have you tried Greek Yogurt to replace cream cheese? I've used it to replace sour cream and cream cheese before with no probs.
Nov 23, 2017
Made this and they were so delicious. A big hit with all.
Oct 12, 2017
Four stars for flavor. A little more time consuming than I thought. Mine did not come looking as pretty as the picture, and I definitely needed to grease cookie sheet or use parchment paper, as they stuck to the pan.