Mini Sausage Pies
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 pound bulk sage pork sausage
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, unfold pastry sheets; roll each into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Using a floured cutter, cut twelve 4-in. circles from one sheet; press onto bottoms and up sides of ungreased muffin cups. Using a floured cutter, cut twelve 3-1/2-in. circles from remaining sheet.
- Mix sausage, green onions, apricots and spices lightly but thoroughly. Place 1/4 cup mixture into each pastry cup. Brush edges of smaller pastry circles with egg; place over pies, pressing edges to seal. Brush with egg. Cut slits in top.
- Bake until golden brown and a thermometer inserted in filling reads 160°, 30-35 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Freeze option: Cool baked pies and freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw pies in refrigerator overnight. Reheat on a baking sheet in a preheated 350° oven until heated through, 14-17 minutes.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts2 mini pies: 551 calories, 36g fat (10g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 784mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 16g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 14, 2019
To K from Nov 11, 2018, she does not brown the sausage - watch the video provided.
Nov 11, 2018
I'm always surprised people don't specify whether the sausage, in recipes like this, is cooked or uncooked. Puff pastry cooks very fast, so cooking the pastry and a 1/4 cup mixture of raw sausage means either the sausage isn't browned, or, the pastry is going to be greasy. Are you cooking the crumbled sausage lightly and then adding these ingredients, to bake it until browned?