Farmer’s Market Sausage Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 4 Italian sausage links, casings removed, halved and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium tomato, cut into chunks
- 1 small yellow tomato, cut into chunks
- 1 cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup julienned green pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian salad dressing mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, peppers, salad dressing mix, garlic powder and fennel seed. Cook and stir for 10 minutes; drain. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Sep 7, 2015
We've been making this recipe for years. It's delicious! I use Italian salad dressing (liquid) instead of the dry mix. Be sure to use the fennel-- it adds to the flavor! Awesome recipe. Thank you for sharing it.
Jan 13, 2015
I have made this pot pie 3 times in the last month since I found the recipe! So good and satisfying and not difficult to make! I used bulk sausage pulled into pieces because that is what had the first time, and worked out great!
Sep 4, 2014
This was absolutely yummy! My husband and I loved it. Uses up what's in the garden and yet I know I will make it this winter.
May 14, 2014
I added more Vegis and used a bigger pan. This was great. I also used sweet Italian turkey sausage.
Nov 16, 2012
I added a portion of sliced onion and usedsweet italian turkey sausage. Also used 1-2 tbsp more while I sauted the veggies. I had too much so I made 2 pies, split the cheese mixture between the 2 and topped with Italian Bread Crumbs. Excellent recipe!
Nov 15, 2010
Very good recipe. I used sweet Italian sausage and 1/4 t. fennel.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.