Mini Pork Pies
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 15 min.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 packages (14.1 ounces each) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a small saucepan, mix cornstarch and broth until blended; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a large skillet, cook pork, garlic and seasonings over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until pork is no longer pink, breaking up pork into crumbles; drain. Add broth mixture; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly.
- Unroll each pastry sheet. On a work surface, roll each into a 12-in. circle. Using floured round cookie cutters, cut twenty 4-in. circles and twenty 2-3/4-in. circles, rerolling scraps as needed. Place large circles in ungreased muffin cups, pressing pastry onto bottoms and up sides.
- Fill each with 3 tablespoons pork mixture. Place small circles over filling; press edges with a fork to seal. In a small bowl, whisk egg and milk; brush over tops. Cuts slits in pastry.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Carefully remove pies to wire racks. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled pies in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw pies in refrigerator overnight. Reheat on ungreased baking sheets in a preheated 350° oven 14-17 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts2 pies: 561 calories, 35g fat (14g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 776mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 21g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 13, 2019
Great idea to make smaller pies. We make French Canadian meat pies, not everyone likes them so smaller pies are a great alternative.
Dec 26, 2016
Tasty pies; easy to make. the only thing I'd change is I'd add more gravy. The pies were too dry.
Dec 22, 2016
sounds good. cornstarch mix is added to meat mix in step 2.
Dec 17, 2016
A step is missing! What do you do with the Cornstarch mixture? At what point does the mixture become a part of the recipe.
Feb 18, 2016
works well love these pies
Feb 3, 2015
Lovely! Our church used to have an Ethnic Fall Festival when I was a child. My Gran used to man the French booth, where they served, among many other culinary delights, tourtieres such as these!
Dec 8, 2014
We make traditional pork pie also as I come from a French Canadian family --a great idea to make mini pork pies! We prefer to make ours with half ground beef & half ground pork.; we also put a couple large cooked potatoes mashed--I've never had it without the potatoes!