Miniature Meat Pies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in chili sauce and soup mix; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sesame seeds if desired, and salt. Cut in shortening and cheese until crumbly. Combine milk and vinegar; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half; roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a lightly floured 2-1/2-in. round cutter. Place half of the circles 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; top each with a rounded tablespoonful of beef mixture. Top with remaining circles. Moisten edges with water and press with a fork to seal. Cut a slit in the top of each.
- Bake at 425° until golden brown, 12-16 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled pies in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Bake, from frozen, on an ungreased baking sheet at 425° until heated through, 14-16 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 meat pies: 508 calories, 30g fat (10g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 983mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 30, 2014
We loved these at our house. I especially liked that you can freeze them and take out a few at a time. The original recipe, which was what I used, called for a whole packet of onion soup mix, which seemed to be fine and not too salty. (It also called for added salt, which was completely unnecessary.) As my kids say, "this is a keeper!"