Mini Apple Rustic Tarts
Need to use up leftover pie filling? These cute tarts from our Test Kitchen have a golden crust brimming with a sweet-tart apple and cherry filling.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup apple pie filling
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon coarse sugar
- Divide pastry in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a 9-in. circle. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the pie filling, cherries, ginger and cinnamon. Spoon over each pastry to within 2 in. of edges. Fold up edges of pastry over filling, leaving center uncovered. Beat egg white and water; brush over folded pastry. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until crusts are lightly browned. Using parchment paper, slide tarts onto a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1/2 each: 327 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Mini Apple Rustic Tarts in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.