Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pastry for a single-crust pie
- In a small skillet, heat 3/4 cup sugar, stirring constantly until it is liquefied and just golden. Remove from the heat and quickly pour into a 10-in. pie plate; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon and remaining sugar. Arrange half of the apples in a single layer in a circular pattern in pie plate. Sprinkle with half of the sugar mixture. Arrange half of the remaining apples in circular pattern over sugar; sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture. Place remaining apples over all, keeping the top as level as possible. Dot with butter.
- Roll out pastry to 9-in.; place over apples, pressing gently to completely cover. Do not flute. Bake at 400° for 50 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. As soon as tart comes out of the oven, carefully invert onto a large serving plate and remove pie plate. Cool.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 284 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 28, 2017
Best recipe ever! I used Gala apples and a Trader Joe's pie crust. Thank you, Marilyn, for sharing this recipe.
Jan 30, 2015
Love this recipe, before I had perfected a traditional apple pie I made this many times. The first apple pie my Son made and now he makes the pies for his in-laws family dinners. We still enjoy this caramel apple pie.
Jan 25, 2012
I would LOVE to say that I made this it was simple and delicious but after two failed attempts, I quit. It is not easy to melt sugar. The first time the sugar dissolved but then hardened in the pie crust. The second attempt led to the sugar not dissolving and hardening in the pie crust. My fault maybe but still not at all an easy recipe.
Jun 20, 2010
Quick and much easier than apple pie. I used greased parchment paper on bottom of pan for nonstick removal, and sprinkled 1/2 cup coconut on top of apple slices. The whole family loved it!
Jul 30, 2009
DO YOU HAVE TARTE APPLEPIE