Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pastry for a single-crust pie
- In a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, heat 3/4 cup sugar, stirring constantly until it is liquefied and golden brown. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon and remaining sugar. Arrange half the apples in a single layer in skillet. Sprinkle with half the sugar mixture. Arrange half the remaining apples in circular pattern over sugar; sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture. Place remaining apples over all, keeping the top as level as possible. Dot with butter.
- Roll out pastry to 11-in. circle; place over apples, pressing gently to completely cover. Do not flute. Bake at 400° until apples are tender and golden brown, about 50 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 284 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Nov 28, 2017
Best recipe ever! I used Gala apples and a Trader Joe's pie crust. Thank you, Marilyn, for sharing this recipe.
Jan 30, 2015
Love this recipe, before I had perfected a traditional apple pie I made this many times. The first apple pie my Son made and now he makes the pies for his in-laws family dinners. We still enjoy this caramel apple pie.
Jan 25, 2012
I would LOVE to say that I made this it was simple and delicious but after two failed attempts, I quit. It is not easy to melt sugar. The first time the sugar dissolved but then hardened in the pie crust. The second attempt led to the sugar not dissolving and hardening in the pie crust. My fault maybe but still not at all an easy recipe.
Jun 20, 2010
Quick and much easier than apple pie. I used greased parchment paper on bottom of pan for nonstick removal, and sprinkled 1/2 cup coconut on top of apple slices. The whole family loved it!
Jul 30, 2009
DO YOU HAVE TARTE APPLEPIE