My cranberry-packed cobbler is the crowning glory of many of our late fall and winter meals. My family isn't big on pies, so this favorite is preferred at our Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations. The aroma of cinnamon and fruit is irresistible. —Jo Ann Sheehan, Ruther Glen, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 cups sliced peeled apples
- 2-1/2 cups sliced peeled firm pears
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 tablespoons Red Hots
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, combine the first eight ingredients; let stand for 5 minutes. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a full rolling boil, about 18 minutes. Dot with butter.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until a soft dough forms.
- Drop topping by heaping tablespoons onto hot fruit. Bake at 375° until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream.