Cranberries, walnuts, brown sugar and orange peel help give this apple-packed crowd-pleaser its rich flavor. After the first taste, guests will be asking for the recipe...and a second helping. —Diane Everett of Newtown, Connecticut
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 5 large)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place first six ingredients in a large bowl; toss to combine. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Mix first five topping ingredients; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in oats. Sprinkle over apple mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, until golden brown and apples are tender, 40-45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 200 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 42mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Cran-Apple Crisp in Light & Tasty August/September 2002