Cranberry Apple-Nut Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped
- 1-3/4 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine cranberries, apples, almonds and orange zest. In another bowl, mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; add to fruit mixture and toss gently.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add filling. Drizzle with butter. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 517 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 267mg sodium, 81g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 16, 2017
Excellent pie, it has a nice tartness from the cranberries. I didn't add the almonds. Will definitely be making this again!
Dec 28, 2013
Delicious! I made a butter crust for it, and used orange marmalade instead of orange zest. Cut back on the sugar to 1 2/3 cup because of the marmalade. Looks awesome and tastes awesome!