Citrus Cranberry Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 3-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 small navel orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Additional sugar
- ORANGE CREAM:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°. Toss together first eight ingredients.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of crust to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust even with rim. Add filling.
- Roll remaining crust to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom crust; flute edge. Brush lattice with egg; sprinkle with additional sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°. Remove foil; bake until golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, beat whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining ingredients; beat until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until serving. Serve with pie.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 515 calories, 29g fat (15g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 323mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 5, 2017
I tried this recipe for Thanksgiving. It was a huge hit & an immediate family favorite.
Nov 25, 2016
The recipe does not give you directions so I continued the top 8 ingredients and put them all in the pie crust.. I did not do anything with the egg... I suppose it was for the egg wash for the crust. I didn't use it.. I baked the pie according to directions. It smelled wonderful coming out of the oven.I will be making this again next year. It was delicious. I loved the tartness with the sweetness and the texture hat he the orange gave to the pie.I did not make the orange whipped cream... I just used a little whipped topping..
Nov 29, 2011
Made it for Thanksgiving - everyone gave it a 10!