Citrus Cranberry Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 3-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 small navel orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Additional sugar
- ORANGE CREAM:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract, optional
- Preheat oven to 450°. Toss together first eight ingredients.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of crust to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust even with rim. Add filling.
- Roll remaining crust to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom crust; flute edge. Brush lattice with egg; sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake until golden brown, 40-45 minutes, covering edges with foil if crust is getting too dark. Cool completely on a wire rack; refrigerate until serving.
- Meanwhile, beat whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining ingredients; beat until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until serving. Serve with pie.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 515 calories, 29g fat (15g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 323mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 17, 2019
Made this today! Love it but next time will add a little more sugar. Pie was a little too tart. Planning on it for Thanksgiving dinner.
Dec 5, 2017
I tried this recipe for Thanksgiving. It was a huge hit & an immediate family favorite.
Nov 25, 2016
The recipe does not give you directions so I continued the top 8 ingredients and put them all in the pie crust.. I did not do anything with the egg... I suppose it was for the egg wash for the crust. I didn't use it.. I baked the pie according to directions. It smelled wonderful coming out of the oven.I will be making this again next year. It was delicious. I loved the tartness with the sweetness and the texture hat he the orange gave to the pie.I did not make the orange whipped cream... I just used a little whipped topping..
Nov 29, 2011
Made it for Thanksgiving - everyone gave it a 10!