Florida Citrus Meringue Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 450°. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned. Remove foil and weights; bake 5-8 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in water and orange juice. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer (mixture will be thick). Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, butter, and lemon and orange zests.
- For meringue, in a large bowl, beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form.
- Transfer hot filling to crust. Spread meringue over filling, sealing to edge of crust; swirl top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake 13-16 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. Chill 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 415 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Mar 20, 2018
Lovely recipe-will try to make it a home-very mouthwatering recipe-maybe can get it a large restaurent.thanks for recipe
Mar 14, 2017
Great pie. One reviewer noted that it didn't set up well. I believe the trick is to cook it longer. I used the amount of corn starch stated and it set up beautifully well. I was a little apprehensive when adding the lemon juice, but that didn't phase the thickness at all. To make this even more of a citrus pie, I mixed lime juice with the lemon juice.
Dec 31, 2016
I made this pie exactly as the recipe states. I knew even before I put the filling in the crust that there wasn't enough cornstarch. My regular lemon meringue pie has two cups of liquid and 7 tablespoons of cornstarch. This pie has two and a half cups of liquid and only five tablespoons of cornstarch. If the spoon can't almost stand up in the filling you need more cornstarch!
Sep 5, 2016
baked two of these. one for a church potluck. never brought any home. the other was a gift to my daughter in law on her birthday. she shared a piece with me. It was wonderful. Not at all hard to make.
Mar 16, 2014
Great pie. Daughter won first place in our home town pie contest.
Feb 23, 2014
This was my birthday pie last year...and i am hoping for another!
Jun 20, 2013
This wouldn't set! Even after I removed the meringue and cooked it another 30 minutes, I refrigerated it over night and it firmed up a little.
Jun 2, 2012
I made this for a dinner party and everyone loved it. It's easy to make and oh, so delicious.
Mar 22, 2012
I made this pie for special freinds. They raved over it as do I. Fantastic, I've made it several times since & it's just plain geat!!
Apr 4, 2011
pretty simple, and super tasty!added 1/4 tsp cream of tartar to the meringue though. c:
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.