Meringue Cranberry Pie
Folks who favor the tartness of cranberries will fall for this pretty pie. The crimson berries look so beautiful under the airy meringue topping.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + chilling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Unroll pastry into a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar and water. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks, flour and salt. Remove cranberry mixture from the heat; stir a small amount into egg mixture. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and extract. Pour into crust.
- For meringue, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 509 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 285mg sodium, 86g carbohydrate (66g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as CRANBERRY MERINGUE PIE in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.