Strawberry-Rhubarb Meringue Pie
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 50 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a food processor, combine the all-purpose flour, pastry flour, almonds and salt; cover and pulse until blended. Add butter; cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. While processing, gradually add water until dough forms a ball.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, sugar, flour and cinnamon; stir in rhubarb and strawberries. Transfer to prepared crust. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Place pie on a wire rack; keep warm. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and extract on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 255 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 2, 2016
Very good! Just right on sweet to tart. I did not make the crust though.
Mar 29, 2015
Oh, my, this pie was good! Just the right amount of sweetness and it looked beautiful! We didn't have pastry flour, so we did a substitution of 2T. cornstarch and 2 T. white whole wheat flour. It was amazingly easy to roll out and very forgiving.
Feb 4, 2015
May 15, 2013
Delicious, fresh-tasting, and easy! I made a regular oil crust instead of the almond crust in this recipe. Otherwise I made the recipe as written, and my husband and kids love it!
Jun 28, 2011
I LOVE this pie! It is the best pie I have ever made! The crust is so tasty, but was hard to roll out, which was the only problem I had with making the pie. I also substituted tapioca for a thickener instead of the egg, and it turned out perfect! Thick filling, and not runny at all. I have a fresh crop of rhubarb, and I cannot wait to make this again!
Jun 3, 2010
I made this today..... It was delicious....The first time of making a Rhubarb pie with Meringue....Will be making this again. The crust was great also.
May 19, 2010
I didn't have enough time to make the crust (though I'd like to try), but I used a store-bought crust with the remainder of the recipe, and it was yummy!