Easy Apple Cobbler
My daughter-in-law is a diabetic, so I came up with this recipe especially for her. But this cobbler is so good, the whole family enjoys it!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 cups sliced peeled apples (about 3 large)
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Artificial sweetener equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 5 tablespoons fat-free milk
- Put the apples, 1/2 cup water, lemon juice and salt in a microwave-safe 8x4-in. loaf pan. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir, then cook 2 minutes more. Combine the cornstarch, sweetener cinnamon and remaining water; stir into hot apples. Microwave for 30 seconds.
- For topping, combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture forms small crumbs. Stir in milk with a fork. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto hot apple mixture. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes.
Editor's Note: Use an artificial sweetener recommended for baking, such as Sweet N Low or Sweet One.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 180 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 216mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Originally published as Apple Cobbler in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook