Rustic Caramel Apple Tart
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 6-1/2 teaspoons cold water
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping, warmed
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water and vanilla, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 10-in. circle. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Combine the filling ingredients; spoon over crust to within 2 in. of edges. Fold up edges of crust over filling, leaving center uncovered. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over filling. Whisk egg and water; brush over crust.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Using parchment paper, slide tart onto a wire rack. Drizzle with caramel topping. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 298 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 18, 2018
We all loved this! So easy to make - during apple season I made several for neighbors and family and everyone loved it!
Nov 29, 2017
This was amazing. Easy to make and everyone loved it. Forgot the Carmel but everyone said it was great withoutWill add the Carmel next time
Nov 28, 2017
Delicious. I used Gala apples and a salted caramel ice cream topping. Thanks you, Betty, for sharing this recipe.
Nov 12, 2017
The amount of flour 2/3 cup with 6 1/2 T of water can not possibly be correct. I had to add more flour use less water so not to have a sticky mess.
Feb 28, 2015
Used pie crust I had made. Was delicious with caramel sauce.
Nov 27, 2013
Love this recipe. Easy and yummy.
Oct 17, 2013
This was so easy and delicious!! Very quick to make and looks like you spent all day on it. Love the caramel drizzled over the top. Not only tasty but pretty!
Dec 28, 2011
This recipe is so easy to make. Be sure to flour your countertop well before rolling out the dough. I used Jonathen Apples, next time I will use more tart ones like Granny Smith, for more flavor. I served this with Vanilla Icecream, topped with a drizzle of Caramel Sauce.
Nov 25, 2011
Sooo easy (I cheated & used canned pie filling & prepared crust) and absolutely delicious. I omitted the toppings and just put the filling in the crust then folded the sides over the apples. Prep time was about 5 minutes. I liked it better than the pecan pie I made to serve as an alternative.
Oct 23, 2011
Hunny made this exact recipe and I just found it here! He has a great "eye" for look and a great set of "taste buds".Simple to pull in the dough.store bought or home~made works fine.The quick drizzle of a store bought best You can afford Caramel Sauce makes this Over the Top Delicious!