Serve this warm spiced apple mixture over frozen yogurt or angel food cake for a delicious down-home dessert. "It's tasty on a cool evening or anytime for that matter," comments Dorothy Pritchett of Wills Point, Texas.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Arrange the apples in a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a saucepan, combine the water, brown sugar, tapioca, lemon juice, salt and nutmeg. Let stand for 5 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Pour over the apples. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 177 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 158mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 fruit.
Originally published as Apple Tapioca in Quick Cooking March/April 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.