Apple Dutch Baby
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place butter in a 13x9-in. baking dish. Heat 5-8 minutes or until melted. Stir in apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake 15-18 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, flour, milk, baking powder and salt until smooth. In a large bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture. Spread over apples. Bake 12-15 minutes or until set and golden. If desired, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 223 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 156mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 9, 2017
This was very yummy! I think next time though, I'm going to double the apple & spices part so there is a thicker layer. The top reminded me of an airy slightly more eggy pancake. Not quite like a crepe. I'd definitely make this again. It was delicious.
Sep 29, 2016
I haven't made this yet.I need gluten free Can this be made gluten free ..does anyone have a recipe for gluten free recipe?
Apr 24, 2014
I made this recipe for my sister's birthday--and she absolutely loved it! I followed the recipe almost exactly, and was pleased with the result. We had six people, though, and I doubled the recipe (made two pans), so I don't see how the above portions can comfortably serve eight. I will definitely make this recipe again!
Mar 2, 2013
This recipe was very good. It did taste a lot like eggs though but we ate it with syrup so it masked the eggy taste.
Dec 25, 2012
This was AWESOME. It was much lighter than I thought it would be. The whole family loved it.
Sep 23, 2012
Would like to know if I can substitute whole what or oatmeal flour for white flour.
Jan 1, 2011
This is super yummy and very easy. I made it both for Christmas morning and New Years Day. Everyone wants a copy of the recipe.
Sep 16, 2010
This was so yummy! Even the non-apple lovers in my family ate it. I had some warmed up the next day and it was even better. Definitly worth the numerous steps!
Sep 6, 2010
If you read it says "Fold into egg yolk mixture" This means you fold the stiffly beaten egg whites into the egg yolk mixture or vice versa.
Aug 29, 2010
What do you do with the egg whites?