- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 cups sliced peeled apples
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons water
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg yolk and milk; add to flour mixture. Stir just until dough clings together. Divide dough in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough into a 15x10-in. rectangle; transfer to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl, toss together filling ingredients; spoon over pastry in pan. Roll out remaining dough into another 15x10-in. rectangle. Place over filling. Brush with egg white. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and enough water to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm pastry. Cut into squares. Serve warm or cold.
1 piece: 230 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 74mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.