Easy Apple Danish
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest; cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the yeast mixture, milk and eggs until blended.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead about 20 times (dough will be slightly sticky). Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- For filling, combine the apples, walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into an 18x15-in. rectangle; brush with butter. Sprinkle filling to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Starting with a short side, fold a third of the dough over filling; repeat with other side, making a 15x6-in. rectangle. Pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 15 slices. Twist each slice a few times; pinch ends together, forming a small circle. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 216 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 158mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 14, 2017
I chose this recipe because based on the pictures and ingredients, it seemed to be everything I was looking for. However I was deeply disappointed.Although I thought the pastry dough recipe was great, the actual filling had no taste whatsoever and the glaze had an overwhelming confectioners sugar taste.Now I have a ton of danishes that I'll probably just throw out.
Nov 10, 2013
This is a great recipe!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.