Easy Cheese Danish
These cream cheese pastries are baked to flaky perfection and made to shine with a simple egg wash gloss. They taste just as decadent as any breakfast sensation you’d find in a bakery or coffee shop.—Carole Sepstead, Grafton, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Add egg yolks, lemon zest, vanilla and salt; beat on low speed until blended.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each sheet of puff pastry into a 12-in. square. Cut each into nine squares. Spoon 2-1/2 teaspoons of cheese mixture into the center of each square.
- Whisk egg and water; lightly brush over edges. Bring two opposite corners of pastry over filling; pinch to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet; brush with remaining egg mixture. Bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 202 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Easy Cheese Danish in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010
Apr 6, 2012
Brought these to our annual Easter Family Brunch and everyone loved them! People kept talking about these and couldn't believe they were homemade. You will not regret making these. I hope to make them often. Thanks so much for this recipe.