German Apple Pancake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tart baking apples, peeled and sliced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat a 10-in. cast-iron skillet in a 425° oven. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the eggs, milk, flour, salt and nutmeg; cover and process until smooth.
- Add butter to hot skillet; return to oven until butter bubbles. Pour batter into skillet. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until pancake puffs and edges are browned and crisp.
- For topping, in a skillet, combine the apples, butter and sugar; cook and stir over medium heat until apples are tender. Spoon into baked pancake. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Cut and serve immediately.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 192 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 12, 2020
I've been making this recipe for at least 45 years and they were called Dutch Babies They are best made in an iron skillet but I had 4 kids back then and used pie plates. ( you can't make them one at a time when they eat 2 each. And then there's the husband. They preferred powdered sugar sprinkled with fresh lemon juice. Soooo so good. Helen
Nov 11, 2018
Yummy desert, I doubled the apples but not the sugar or butter. It was delicious with ice cream.
Nov 29, 2017
Delicious and easy to make. I added cinnamon to the apples, and next time I make it I'll double the amount of apples.
Sep 22, 2017
I love these pancakes. We used to call them Dutch Babies. If you don't have apples, other fruits like preaches, strawberries or blueberries, or one's favorite can be used. My personal favorite is peaches.
Sep 22, 2017
Iv been making this for years.. .I use Brown sugar and cinnamon on top..Gives it great flavor...A hit with company..Looks impressive...I server with Greek yogurt and fresh fruit...
Sep 21, 2017
The same recipe I've been using for 50 years, we called it Popover Pancake. Yummy
May 25, 2017
Needs a teaspoon of vanilla in the pancake batter. Otherwise, it's perfect and delicious!
Oct 10, 2015
I've been making this recipe since Bountiful Harvest came out. It's delicious every time and a family favorite.
Sep 14, 2013
Wow. Wow. The only problem with this is that I'll be making it A LOT because it is so darn good. I added a little cinnamon and sprinkled a few sliced almonds on top of the apples, baked it a couple minutes with the apples and almonds. So darn good.
Nov 7, 2012
I used less sugar and should have used less butter, because I felt there was too much butter. I added golden raisins, which made up for the lessened amount of sugar, added to the flavor and visual appeal, and it really tasted great. Will make it again.