Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 6 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- VANILLA SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Arrange apples in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon; set aside 1 tablespoon. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon-sugar over apples.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and remaining sugar; beat in the milk and butter until blended. Drop by tablespoonfuls over apples; sprinkle with reserved cinnamon-sugar. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; add butter and vanilla. Serve with warm kuchen.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 248 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Jul 8, 2017
This is exactly like the apple kuchen my German grandmother used to make. I have been looking for a recipe for the vanilla sauce that she served with the kuchen for years and so happy that I found this recipe!
Apr 28, 2011
woderful!! Husband is from Germany, and he really loved this. Said him mother used to make something very, very similar when he was a kid, long time ago!
Jul 21, 2010
I doubled this recipe and served to seniors yesterday at a retirement home and they finished the pan quickly. I plan to enlarge the recipe and serve to seniors at church. My husband really liked this recipe and it's a keeper.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.