Polish Kraut and Apples
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Polish Kielbasa Sausage Rope, cut up
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- Place half of the sauerkraut in an ungreased 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with sausage, apples, brown sugar, caraway seeds if desired and pepper. Top with remaining sauerkraut. Pour apple juice over all.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until apples are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 546 calories, 31g fat (12g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 1630mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 4g fiber), 15g protein.
Mar 14, 2017
Just like my Grandmother used to make! Very happy to find this recipe!
Oct 14, 2016
Have made this many times.Its easy and delish.
Mar 3, 2015
Love this! Have made it twice and it is excellent. I cook it on the stovetop for about 30 minutes and serve it with boiled potatoes. Would also be good with pierogis.
Feb 25, 2015
Too sweet. Did not taste like sauerkraut. Will leave out brown sugar next time.
Feb 5, 2015
Awesomeness in a crockpot!
Jan 2, 2013
Nov 4, 2012
I made this with turkey bratwurst instead of Polish sausage, and Cranberry juice instead of apple juice. It came out wonderfully amazing.
Oct 30, 2012
This is FABULOUS. I used Turkey Polish sausage to make it a bit healthier.
Mar 24, 2012
I've made this many times as is the custom to eat sauerkraut on New Year's Day in my family! I'm not big on kraut but like this recipe.
Oct 13, 2011
Simple and surprisingly delicious. I was trying different recipes after picking 33 lbs of apples. I can't wait to make this one again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.