Polish Kraut with Apples
The combination of apples, sauerkraut and smoked sausage gives this hearty dinner an Old World flavor. I like making it because it's so easy to make. —Caren Markee, Cary, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 pound smoked Polish sausage or kielbasa, cut up
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- Dash pepper
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- Place half of the sauerkraut in an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Top with sausage, apples, brown sugar, caraway seeds if desired and pepper. Top with remaining sauerkraut. Pour apple juice over all.
- Cover and cook on low until apples are tender, 3-4 hours.