Even after more than 50 years of marriage, I love to bake and cook for family and friends. The recipe for these rolls stuffed with cabbage and ground beef has been in my files for years.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5-3/4 to 6-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Salt, pepper and seasoned salt to taste
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening and salt. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a large saucepan, cook cabbage and onion until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat, cabbage mixture, salt, pepper and seasoned salt. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into a 16-in. square. Cut into 4-in. squares. Place 1/4 cup filling in the center of each. Bring corners over filling; pinch to seal.
- Place, seam side down, on greased baking sheets. Do not let rise. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.