Scalloped Rutabaga and Apple
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled rutabaga
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced peeled tart apple
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; add rutabaga. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, salt, thyme, cinnamon and pepper.
- Place half of the rutabaga in a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray; brush with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter. Sprinkle with half of the flour mixture; top with half of the apple slices. Repeat layers. Pour apple juice over top.
- Toss bread crumbs and remaining butter; sprinkle over apple. Top with walnuts. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until rutabaga and apple are tender.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 276 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 16, 2015
I absolutely love rutabaga, & this is the only sweetened recipe that I've tried, other than a similar recipe my grandma used to make. I left out the thyme and black pepper and this was pretty good.
Dec 6, 2012
Reminds me of apple crisp but this dish is healthy with the rutabaga.