Red Cabbage with Apples
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium head red cabbage (2 pounds) , shredded
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until golden and tender. Add the cabbage, apples, cider, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until cabbage and apples are tender and the liquid is reduced. Sprinkle with bacon and parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 203 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 331mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 12, 2018
I Make this often and an accompaniment to pork chops. I put allspice 1 tsp in but nothing else is changed. Great receipe thanks!!!
Jul 8, 2017
The combination of red cabbage and apples here is awesome!!
Dec 16, 2012
try puting in ground cloves and fry bacon and onions
Feb 9, 2010
Fantastic, no leftovers, hit with everybody! I did sauté onion & apples in bacon drippings and added 1/8 tsp. ground cloves. A real keeper!!