Spiced Red Cabbage
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 1/2 medium head red cabbage, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium tart apple, quartered
- 3 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water and cabbage to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Return to pan; stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until cabbage is tender. Remove bay leaf.
Feb 2, 2019
This recipe is delicious! I kept the recipe as is-I did not have tarragon vinegar, though! I'd used other vinegar (cider). I also used the cooking liquid in the cabbage dish!
Apr 17, 2013
My mom use to make this when I was a kid to go with sauerbrauten. It was one of my very favorite side dishes! I haven't made it in a long time. The only difference was we don't add the bay leaf or oil. It was great! Thanks for reminding me of an old family favorite! My children enjoyed it also.
Nov 18, 2010
I have made this recipe every Thanksgiving for years. My mother loves it. Leftovers (if there are any) are good hot or cold. I usually double this recipe to assure that we DO have leftovers. :)