Red Cabbage With Bacon
If you’ve braised, marinated or served red cabbage raw, try it steamed, then toss with bacon and a tangy sauce. We serve it with pork or chicken. This is how to cook cabbage with bacon. —Sherri Melotik, Oak Creek, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 medium head red cabbage (about 2 pounds), shredded
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 small onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, place steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Place cabbage in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; steam, covered, 6-8 minutes or just until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons in pan.
- Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour and brown sugar until blended. Gradually stir in water and vinegar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cabbage, bacon, salt and pepper.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 188 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 635mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as German Red cabbage in Simple & Delicious October/November 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.