Sweet-Sour Red Cabbage with Bacon
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded (10 cups)
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, stir the cider vinegar and sugars until sugars are dissolved. Add cabbage; toss to coat. Let stand for 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- In the drippings, saute apple and onion until tender. Stir in water and cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with reserved bacon just before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 96 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Jan 6, 2020
Even better that what I grew up with! The perfect balance of sweet and tart, soft and crunchy. I made the shreds pretty wide so it took a bit longer to cook, and I didn't have cloves but it was just great anyway. Definitely a keeper!
Dec 16, 2014
Outstanding recipe. Best red cabbage I have ever eaten.
Jul 20, 2013
very good, added a bit more of the vinagar
Jan 22, 2012
This is now one of my favorites. The flavor and texture are excellent.
Jan 31, 2011
Fantastic. Added more bacon and no apples. Will definitely make this again!
Jan 1, 2011
This is perfect with the Hungarian chicken!
Aug 27, 2009
My husband is German...I make this for him at all special occassions. It's so good! Cook it a little longer than it calls for...best when tende, not crisp.