Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced
- In a large skillet, combine drippings or oil, brown sugar, vinegar, water, salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until hot, stirring occasionally. Add cabbage; cover and cook for 10 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Add apples, cook, uncovered, for about 10 minutes more or until tender, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 82 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 99mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Aug 18, 2012
This is one of my absolute favorite recipes. We enjoy it warm, right off the stove or even cold the next day. I'm not a big fan of cabbage but this is WONDERFUL! :)
Feb 5, 2010
I found this in "The Complete Guide to Country Cooking." I had just made Red Cabbage Casserole a couple weeks ago . This one is great!!! I am sending a copy to my daughter-in-law who loves cabbage anything. My husband who usually doesn't like red cabbage likes both. I serve either with lean pork steaks or bone in roasted/broiled chicken breasts. Thank You Barbara White from Cross Plains, WI for this recipe. I love it big time!!!!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.