Cranberry-Apple Red Cabbage
When I was looking for something new, I started playing with flavors and came up with this very tasty dish. My German grandmother would be impressed, I think! The colorful side dish is just right with pork. —Ann Sheehy, Lawrence, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 medium head red cabbage, coarsely chopped (8 cups)
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sweet vermouth or white wine, optional
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Combine all ingredients; transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until cabbage is tender, 3-4 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 131 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 295mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Slow-Cooker Cran-Apple Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.