Apple-Cranberry Wild Rice
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 2-3/4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1small leek (white portion only), coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apples
- 6 tablespoons chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Stir in the rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until rice is tender. Drain. Stir in savory; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute leek in oil for 1 minute. Stir in cranberries, apples and 3 tablespoons broth. Cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until fruit is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice, onion salt, lemon-pepper and remaining broth. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 124 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 359mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 24, 2010
Just made this for Thanksgiving tomorrow. Giving it a night for the flavors to blend. Oh yum, yum! (I had to sneak a sample.) But, I needed to add some more broth to the leek and dried fruit (just a tbsp at a time) before the dried fruit got soft. Probably because I'm in Arizona. :) Delish!