Nutty Wild Rice Salad
Wild rice is sensational in this chilled salad. The toasted almonds complement the nuttiness of the rice, while red wine vinegar and soy sauce make a tangy dressing. I'll often serve the salad in lettuce cups, and sometimes I'll add diced ham and asparagus to turn it into a main-dish salad.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in the rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until tender. Drain; fluff with a fork. Stir in the peas, celery, onions and almonds.
- In a small jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients; shake well. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
Originally published as Nutty Wild Rice Salad in Country Extra September 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.