These delicious slow-cooker grains are perfect. I set my slow cooker to start automatically overnight and a hearty breakfast is ready in the morning, making this quick and healthy recipe a favorite in my home. —Sherisse Dawe, Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup wheat berries
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 6 cups water
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until grains are tender. Serve with milk.
Editor's Note: Look for oat bran cereal near the hot cereals or in the natural foods section. Look for quinoa in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle.
Editor's NoteLook for quinoa in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup (calculated without milk): 286 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 8mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Apple Cranberry Slow Cooker Grains in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.