Cranberry Wild Rice Pilaf
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a saucepan, combine wild rice and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in barley, currants and butter. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, covered, until wild rice and barley are tender, 50-60 minutes. Stir in almonds and cranberries.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 166 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 382mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 30, 2017
This was a very simple and delicious recipe! We omitted the barley to make gluten-free. It was a nice addition to our Thanksgiving meal as we don't usually have rice! Will make more often!
Sep 22, 2013
Good idea with the combination of flavors, but this was an epic fail. The rice never got done! If we make this again, we will FULLY cook the rice separately on the cook top before mixing it with the other ingredients.
Oct 9, 2012
Only con is the length of time is takes to make...pro is that the oven does that work though ;) I make this a lot, especially when we have salmon for dinner. It's delicious!
Jan 28, 2011
Well, I liked it but not most of my family.
Aug 1, 2010
This dish became a Thanksgiving traditional side dish when I first started my family. It's remained a staple eleven years later. It's a beautifully delicious side dish and easy to make.