Wild Rice with Dried Blueberries
I love the combination of rice and fruit, so this is a go-to Thanksgiving side dish at my house. I toss in mushrooms and toasted almonds to enhance the flavor. You can also include dried cherries or cranberries if you like. —Janie Colle, Hutchinson, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3-1/4 hours
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups uncooked wild rice
- 8 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 cup dried blueberries
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine rice, mushrooms, onions, salt and pepper. Pour broth over rice mixture. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until rice is tender. Stir in pecans and blueberries. Cook, covered, 15 minutes longer or until heated through.
Editor’s Note: To toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Wild Rice With Blueberries in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.