Wild Rice Pancakes
This recipe is a traditional favorite in Minnesota, where wild rice is widely harvested. These fritter-like pancakes are great for brunch or even a light supper.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Canola oil
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in butter until tender. Transfer to a large bowl; cool. Stir in the rice, milk and eggs. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually stir into rice mixture just until combined.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 2 tablespoons into oil. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels.
Editor's Note: Two-thirds cups uncooked wild rice yields 2 cups cooked wild rice.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 161 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 274mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Apr 8, 2020
I followed the recipe as printed it turned out very good both my husband and I enjoyed it very much I was able to use my left over wild rice from another day it was a winner.