Wild Rice Bread with Sunflower Seeds
I loved skipping the boring school cafeteria meals and going to my grandma’s house for lunch. She spent most of her life in northeastern Minnesota, which is reflected in this bread's ingredients. Now my family uses this for our holiday stuffing. —Crystal Schlueter, Northglenn, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve long grain and wild rice
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted sunflower kernels, divided
- 1 cup warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup honey or molasses
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ, optional
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine rice, 1 cup sunflower kernels, milk, honey, butter, flaxseed, salt, yeast mixture, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour; beat on medium speed until combined. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place each in a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray, seam side down.
- Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Brush loaves with egg white; sprinkle with remaining sunflower kernels and, if desired, wheat germ. Bake 35-45 minutes or until dark golden brown. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without wheat germ): 142 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 205mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Wild Rice You Betcha Bread in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016