Wild Rice Bread with Sunflower Seeds
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve long grain and wild rice
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted sunflower kernels, divided
- 1 cup warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup honey or molasses
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ, optional
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine rice, 1 cup sunflower kernels, milk, honey, butter, flaxseed, salt, yeast mixture, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour; beat on medium speed until combined. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place each in a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray, seam side down.
- Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Brush loaves with egg white; sprinkle with remaining sunflower kernels and, if desired, wheat germ. Bake 35-45 minutes or until dark golden brown. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without wheat germ): 142 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 205mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jan 22, 2020
Loved this earthy, crunchy bread! Thank you for sharing. Cut recipe in half to make 1 loaf. Came out fine. Rose nicely in warm oven. Used salted sunflower seeds and 1/2 honey and 1/2 molasses. Used 1 c of Minute pre-cooked. brown and wild rice. Can slice right out of the oven! Delicious with butter.