Wild Rice Bread with Sunflower Seeds
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve long grain and wild rice
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted sunflower kernels, divided
- 1 cup warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup honey or molasses
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ, optional
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine rice, 1 cup sunflower kernels, milk, honey, butter, flaxseed, salt, yeast mixture, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour; beat on medium speed until combined. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place each in a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray, seam side down.
- Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Brush loaves with egg white; sprinkle with remaining sunflower kernels and, if desired, wheat germ. Bake 35-45 minutes or until dark golden brown. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without wheat germ): 142 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 205mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Feb 25, 2020
Nice, soft, earthly bread. I grabbed just the brown rice ready to serve cups on accident and the bread still turned out great. Used molasses instead of honey for a richer brown color and salted sunflower seeds which I don't think added too much salt at all. Made two really nice sized loaves. Will make again!
Jan 22, 2020
Loved this earthy, crunchy bread! Thank you for sharing. Cut recipe in half to make 1 loaf. Came out fine. Rose nicely in warm oven. Used salted sunflower seeds and 1/2 honey and 1/2 molasses. Used 1 c of Minute pre-cooked. brown and wild rice. Can slice right out of the oven! Delicious with butter.