Sunflower Seed & Honey Wheat Bread
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes3 loaves (12 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup bread flour
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the bread flour, oil, honey, salt and 4 cups whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in sunflower kernels and enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide into three portions. Shape into loaves; place in three greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled loaves in foil, and place in resealable plastic freezer bags. To use, thaw at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 125 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 16, 2018
I've made this recipe several times & it always turns out perfectly. I roll out 1/3, brush with butter then roll up & slice like cinnamon rolls. It makes the most fantastic dinner rolls.
Feb 11, 2017
Made this for the first time today, but it won't be the last. Love it!
Sep 24, 2016
Jan 28, 2015
Jan 6, 2015
New staple in our home. Everyone loved it. Thank you!!
Oct 23, 2013
Followed recipe exactly. The whole family loved it! My daughter said, "It is awesomely good!" One of the better wheat bread recipes that I've tried.
Sep 16, 2013
I'm making this for the second time. Glad I found it again; it's a keeper!
Apr 19, 2013
still rising, but it smells great
Feb 16, 2013
This bread was delicious and easy to make (2 pluses in my book). The taste is very good!!! Plus, I love that it makes three loaves. Will be making this one over and over again!
Apr 14, 2012
My Mom and I both love this recipe and have made it often. I sometimes increase the bread flour to make it a little taller, but the flavor of this bread is amazing, a #1 for me.