Sweet-Sour Red Cabbage
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, brown sugar, caraway and celery seeds; set aside. Place cabbage and onion in a saucepan; add a small amount of water. Cover and steam until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add vinegar mixture; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 60 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 12mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Dec 8, 2018
I found that this dish needed more sweetening. I used 3 Tbsp. brown sugar and poppy seed as I did not have celery seed available. The additional sugar gave this dish the traditional sweet-sour flavor! I'd used 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. I also got more than just 2 servings!
Oct 13, 2014
I made this for an Octoberfest party. My guests raved about it. I left out the caraway seeds (I don't like them) and I don't think they were missed. Great heated up for leftovers.
Dec 2, 2012
This was an interesting dish.
May 18, 2008
Can you give me some tips on how to easily shred cabbage?