Sweet and Sour German Red Cabbage
If your family likes the sweet-tart flavor found in many German dishes, they'll enjoy this recipe. The cabbage, apples and onions are cooked with vinegar, sugar and a variety of spices-the end result can't be beat!
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1 medium head red cabbage, cored and sliced
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 2 whole allspice
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- In a Dutch oven, toss cabbage, apples and onion. Add water, vinegar, sugar, butter and salt. Place the peppercorns, allspice, cloves and bay leaf on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and stir with kitchen string to form a bag. Add to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Discard spice bag. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir in cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 126 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as German Red Cabbage in Country Woman Christmas 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.