Sweet and Sour German Red Cabbage
If your family likes the sweet-tart flavor found in many German dishes, they'll enjoy this recipe. The cabbage, apples and onions are cooked with vinegar, sugar and a variety of spices-the end result can't be beat!
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
- 1 medium head red cabbage, cored and sliced
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 2 whole allspice
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- In a Dutch oven, toss cabbage, apples and onion. Add water, vinegar, sugar, butter and salt. Place the peppercorns, allspice, cloves and bay leaf on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and stir with kitchen string to form a bag. Add to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Discard spice bag. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir in cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.